The goal of the MSU-CVM Oncology service is to provide outstanding diagnostic and therapeutic options for dogs and cats with cancer. We provide hope, compassion, and healing, while offering innovative treatment for the whole patient.
Diagnostic options include fine needle aspirates/cytology, incisional and excisional biopsies, bone marrow sampling, and advanced imaging such as digital radiography, ultrasonography, CT, and MRI. We work with other service groups in the college, including specialists in pathology, radiology, and surgery, to obtain rapid results and to guide patient care.
Treatment options may include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, or a combination of these. We also offer immunotherapy for canine melanoma and feline injection site sarcoma. Chemotherapy is administered on site, typically on an out-patient basis. Radiation therapy is coordinated through the nearby Veterinary Specialty Center using a state-of-the-art Varian Trilogy linear accelerator.
No matter the tumor type or treatment, our primary goal is always to maintain a fantastic quality of life for each of our patients during their therapy. As such, treatment plans are tailored to the individual needs of patients and their families, and our experienced team of clinicians, house officers, technicians, and students provide unmatched care at every step of the way.
Our Oncology service team consists of:
- Dr. Taya Marquardt, Assistant Professor in Small Animal Oncology and Team Leader in Oncology
- Dr. John Thomason, Assistant Professor in Small Animal Internal Medicine
- Dr. Alyssa Sullivant, Assistant Professor in Small Animal Internal Medicine
- Dr. Samantha Muro, Resident in Small Animal Internal Medicine
- Dr. Katie Cooley-Lock, Resident in Small Animal Internal Medicne and Oncology
- Dr. Harry Cridge, Resident in Small Animal Internal Medicine
- Dr. Jessica Chin, Specialty Intern in Oncology/Medicine
- Lisa Pritchard, Head Medicine/Oncology Technician
- Virginia Cannan, Medicine/Onclogy Technician
Please feel free to call the MSU-CVM at 662-325-7016 to coordinate referral appointments or to discuss management of your cancer patients with our Oncology service team members.