Mark L. Lawrence, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Director of Feed the Future Innovation Lab on Fish (FIL)
Department of Basic Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
P.O. Box 6100
Mississippi State, MS 39762-6100
Website link: http://www.miangel.msstate.edu
- B.S. – Texas A&M University
- D.V.M. – Texas A&M University
- Ph.D. – Louisiana State University
- Postdoctoral – Virginia Tech
- Research – Pathogenesis of bacterial diseases, especially in aquatic animals
- Teaching – Bacterial pathogenesis, aquatic animal health
- Clinical – Diagnostic responsibilities in the MSU-CVM Fish Diagnostic Laboratory
Aquatic animal health
My primary research interest is in mechanisms of bacterial pathogenesis. In my laboratory, we use comparative genomics, functional genomics, molecular biology, and host models to answer bacterial pathogenesis questions. Research is conducted on bacterial pathogens of fish, including Edwardsiella ictaluri, Flavobacterium columnare, and Aeromonas hydrophila. I also have an active research program in the foodborne pathogen Listeria monocytogenes where our focus is delineating molecular mechanisms of pathogenesis. Finally, I have research interest in bacterial species in the family Pasteurellaceae, particularly bovine respiratory pathogens Mannheimia haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, and Histophilus somni.